Turkey & Jalapeño Havarti Paninis! These paninis are full of peppery turkey, onion and tomato, spicy jalapeño havarti cheese, and a cilantro-lime avocado spread. This sandwich makes for an epic panini, and you’ll crave it every time you want a sandwich!
A panini is an Italian sandwich that is served warmed by grilling or toasting. Ideally, you’ll want to use a panini press, because this will ensure that the sandwich will be flat, toasted and melted. But, if you don’t have a press, you can use two heavy skillets instead.
Ingredients Needed To Make These Turkey & Jalapeño Havarti Paninis:
- Bread – You’ll need a great bread! Try a rustic bread like focaccia, ciabatta, thick sourdough or a baguette. Just make sure to get a bread that will hold up to the grill or press. Otherwise, it will fall apart. (I use an herb focaccia alot).
- Cheese – This Daiya Jalapeño Havarti Style Block “cheese” is a delicious dairy-free cheese alternative. It has great cheese flavor, and packs the right amount of spicy heat. It is fantastic! (Honestly, you can’t tell that it’s dairy-free. My husband sure didn’t know, lol)! *If you are interested in a dairy option, pepper jack cheese will work as well.
- Cilantro-Lime Avocado Spread – This spread includes avocados, fresh cilantro, lime juice and garlic salt. Simple ingredients, but wow is it a great combo on this sandwich.
- Bacon – It’s fine if you want to omit this ingredient. We’ve tried this panini with and without the bacon. However, I will say, the bacon puts it over the top for me.
- Turkey – Four pepper or smoked turkey will work great here. Again, I have tried both. However, the pepper turkey is always my first choice.
- Veggies – Who doesn’t love to bite into a thick slice of warm tomato and onion?!? It is just too good. Both of these veggies enhance it for sure.
How To Assemble The Panini:
- Start by smearing some cilantro-lime avocado spread on both sides of the bread. Next, to one side of the bread, add the cheese, some turkey, bacon, tomato and onion, then some more turkey and cheese. Top off with the other side of the bread. Now it’s ready to be cooked! (I like to put the veggies on the inside, because it ensures that the bread won’t get soggy).
My Top Most Important Tips:
- Bread – If need be, remove some of the inner stuffing of the bread. Certain breads can be rather bulky.
- Cilantro-Lime Spread – This spread makes the sandwich! It’s creamy, cilantro-y, a bit acid and salty. No other condiments will be needed.
- Cilantro – People love or hate cilantro — there is no in between. I, personally, love it! So, I recommend using it unsparingly.
- Sandwich – Once it’s assembled, smash it together with your hands, and then quickly place it on the press. Not doing this, will make it harder to handle.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray – Give both sides of the press a light spray.
- Panini Press – If you don’t have a press, use two skillets. Once the sandwiches are in the skillet, place the second one on top and press down firmly. The weight will help flatten, crisp and melt the panini.
And for more easy lunch recipes, please give these a try:
- Easy Southwest Chicken Enchiladas
- Sausage & Artichoke Stuffed Shells
- Roasted Green Chile Cheeseburgers
- Loaded Taco Salad Bowls
- Grilled Zucchini Chicken Burgers
Turkey & Jalapeño Havarti Paninis
- Panini Press or 2 Skillets
- 1 loaf Herb Focaccia or Ciabatta, quartered
- 1 lb. Four Pepper Turkey or Smoked Turkey, thinly sliced
- 1 pkg Daiya Spicy Jalapeño Havarti Cheese, thinly sliced
- 4-6 slices Bacon, cooked (1 to 1 1/2 pieces per panini)
- 1 Slicing Tomato, medium sliced
- Red Onion, thinly sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray
- CILANTRO-LIME AVOCADO SPREAD:
- 2 Avocados, pitted and scooped
- 1 bundle Cilantro, (1/2 cup loosely packed, stems removed)
- 1 small Lime, freshly squeezed juice
- Garlic Salt, to taste
- Cook the bacon until crisp; set aside.
- To a small bowl, add the avocados, cilantro, lime juice and garlic salt. Smash the avocado until it's the consistency that you desire, and then mix the ingredients until well combined.
- To assemble the sandwiches, add some avocado spread to two slices of bread. Top one slice of bread with cheese slices, bacon, turkey, onion and tomato, another slice of bacon, a couple more slices of cheese, and top with the other slice of bread. Repeat this process for 3 more sandwiches.
- Lightly spray the panini press with some extra virgin olive oil spray. Place 2 sandwiches on the press and cook until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted. Repeat with 2 more sandwiches.
- Serve with a side of chips, salad and an ice cold beverage!
- This White Textured Stoneware Dinnerware Collection is from World Market.
* Be sure to click the Yum button, which will allow you to save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box.