Parmesan Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Sausage is a healthy weeknight meal! It’s made with a quick and spicy marinara, fresh basil and lots of parmesan cheese – it is delicious.
- 1 24 oz jar Barilla Traditional Marinara Sauce (Savory Oregano & Basil)
- 2 Spaghetti Squash, cut in half
- 1 lb. Canino’s Hot Italian Sausage, cooked and drained
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Himalayan Pink Salt, to taste
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 8 oz pkg. Bel Gioioso Fresh Mozzarella Pearls
- 1 6 oz jar Barilla Rustic Basil Pesto, for dolloping (optional)
- Fresh Basil, for topping
- Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil, and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. (This will prevent the squash from sticking).
- Prepare the squash: Pierce the squash a number of times with a fork, and microwave for 5 minutes. Remove the squash with hot pads, and let cool before slicing. With a large knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the insides.
- Season and roast: Brush the cut sides with extra virgin olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper, and place the squash cut-side down on the baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Sausage: In the meantime, on medium-high heat, cook the sausage until browned, about 7-9 minutes. Make sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks, drain excess fat.
- Make the sauce: Next, prep the sauce during the last 5 minutes of roasting time. In the same skillet, add the cooked sausage, garlic, marinara sauce, basil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, and stir until well incorporated. Let it come to a gentle simmer and slightly reduce with the time that remains.
- Assemble: Remove the baking sheet and flip the squash over with tongs. Use a fork to scrape up some of the squash. Equally divide the marinara mixture among the squash. Sprinkle some more basil and oregano on top. Add as much or as little mozzarella to each as you like.
- Bake: Return to the oven and bake the squash for another 15 minutes or so, until the cheese is bubbly and slightly golden brown.
- Garnish: Sprinkle the squash with fresh basil, freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano and a dollop of pesto.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Main Dish, Gluten-free, Main Dish, Sausage Recipes, Spaghetti Squash, Squash Recipes