This roasted chile cheeseburger is the ultimate Colorado chile cheeseburger. It’s piled high with a beautiful half pound beef patty, and all the fixings you could image. But, the pièce de résistance are the Pueblo green chiles capping it all off!
- 2 lbs. Ground Hamburger (20%), formed into 4 patties
- 4–8 Pueblo Green Chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded
- 4 Hamburger Buns, toasted (good quality)
- 4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese, Cheddar or Jalapeño Havarti
- 1 Slicing Tomato, sliced
- 1 Purple Onion, sliced
- Minced Garlic, for topping burgers
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Himalayan Pink Salt, to taste
- Preheat the grill: Preheat the grill on high heat for about 10 minutes. Turn down to medium right before placing the meat on the grill.
- Form the patties: Divide the meat into four equal portions. Form each portion loosely, and make a deep depression in the center with your thumb.
- Season generously: Season both sides of the hamburger patties with salt and pepper. Top each with a good amount of minced garlic as well.
- Cook: Place on the grill, and cook for a minimum of 8 minutes per side, or until cooked to desired degree of doneness. (Given the thickness of the patties, as pictured, they are cooked for at least 8 minutes a side for medium to medium-well).
- Veggies: During this time, you can prep the tomato and onion.
- Cheese & Chile: Add the cheese and 1-2 chiles per burger during the last minute of cooking, and close the grill cover to melt the cheese.
- Toast the buns: Remove the green chile cheeseburgers to a paper towel lined plate, and toast the hamburger buns.
- Assemble: Top each green chile cheeseburger with a thick slice of tomato and onion, and any other condiments you desire. Serve immediately!
- Pueblo Roasted Green Chiles: If you can’t get ahold of these chiles, you can roast any other long green chile or use jarred roasted green chiles.
- Cheese: Use a spicy pepper jack, cheddar or a dairy-free option. I will say though, the spicy pepper jack is amazing with the chile.
- Hamburger Buns: Use a good quality bun like a pretzel bun or something similar.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Beef, Cheeseburger, Chile Peppers, Dairy-Free Recipes, Gluten-Free Recipes, Grilling, Lunch, Main Dish, Outdoor Party, Recipes for a Crowd, Recipes for Parties, Summer Recipes