This pasta is loaded with spicy chicken sausage, squash, sweet broccolini and a touch of fresh lemon juice. Finish it off with some basil and you have a delicious meal ready in no time.
- 12 oz. Jovial 100% Organic Gluten-Free Brown Rice Penne
- 2 small bunches Broccolini, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 lb. Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage Links, casing removed
- 1 small Zucchini, diced
- 1 small Yellow Squash, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Redmond Real Fine Sea Salt, to taste
- 1 cup Kettle & Fire Chicken Broth or 3/4 cup – 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil, roughly chopped, plus a bit more for garnish
- 1/2 Large Lemon, freshly squeezed juice
- Pasta: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a handful of salt and the pasta, and cook for about 8 minutes. Add the broccolini to the same pot, and continue to cook for 4 minutes.
- Reserve some water: Drain the pasta mixture; reserving 1 cup of the pasta water, if using.
- Sausage: While the pasta cooks, heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and break it up into bite-size pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add the squash: Once the sausage is broken up, add the zucchini, squash and garlic, and season with some salt and pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes.
- Put it together: Add the pasta and broccolini mixture into the pan. Add the broth, stir and taste for seasoning. Let the mixture come together for a minute. (If need be, add a bit more salt and pepper).
- Finishing touches: Stir in the basil and lemon juice.
- Serve: Divide the pasta among 4-6 bowls, garnish with additional basil. Serve immediately.
- If possible, use all organic ingredients.
- Pasta Shape: Feel free to use something like penne, rigatoni or fusilli pasta. You just want to make sure it’s a small, short-cut pasta that will match the size of the other ingredients.
- Pasta: I have tried this recipe with 12 oz. of pasta and a full pound of pasta. And, I will say, the 12 oz. portion works better with the rest of the ingredients. One full pound seems to be too much.
- Liquid: If you don’t have broth on hand just use about 3/4 – 1 cup of the pasta water before you drain the pasta.
- Sausage: If your protein is pretty lean then coat the sauté pan with one tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Reheat: If necessary, add a sprinkle of chicken broth or water to the pasta before reheating. This way, the pasta won’t dry out. Then, add a bit of lemon juice to finish it off.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Broccolini, Easy Dinner Recipes, Easy Main Dish, Easy Pasta Recipes, Gluten-Free, Lemon, Main Dish, Pasta Recipes, Sausage Recipes, Squash Recipes