This Spicy-Sweet Potato Bean Soup will become your new favorite soup recipe. It is made with sweet potatoes, black beans, and fire roasted tomatoes and is ready in 30 minutes. The soup is made over the stovetop, but can easily be prepared in the slow cooker as well.
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large Shallot (or a small onion)
- 2 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Himalayan Pink Salt, to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 3 cups Swanson Chicken Broth, low sodium
- 1 can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can Hunts Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (add the contents of the entire can)
- 1 Lime, freshly squeezed juice
- 1 Avocado, pitted and cubed
- Fresh Cilantro, to taste
- Optional: Kite Hill Sour Cream, just a dollop
- Cook the potatoes: To a large pot, over medium-high heat, add the avocado oil and heat until shiny. Cook the potatoes and onion for about 3 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Cook the chicken: Add the chicken, garlic and other spices. Cook until the chicken loses its pink color; about 4 minutes.
- Simmer in broth: Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients: Stir in the black beans, tomatoes and lime juice (minus the toppings) and heat through.
- How to serve: Serve with cilantro, avocado and additional lime juice and sour cream, if desired.
- Slow Cooker Instructions: If using, complete steps 1-3 of the recipe. Add the meat mixture to the slow cooker, along with the beans, tomatoes, and lime juice. Top with the broth and give it a good stir. Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Storage: Store the soup in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Beans and Legumes, Chicken, Chicken Recipes, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Recipes, High Fiber, Main Dish, Soup, Sweet Potato