This Spicy-Sweet Potato Bean Soup will become your new favorite soup recipe. It is made with sweet potatoes, black beans, and fire roasted tomatoes and is ready in 30 minutes. The soup is made over the stovetop, but can easily be prepared in the slow cooker as well.
This soup is both gluten and dairy free, and is nice and spicy from the fire roasted tomatoes. Everyone will enjoy it!
And if you want to make it vegan, just omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead. I suggest trying this soup with the chicken first though, because it is so so good.
Ingredient Notes For This Spicy-Sweet Potato Bean Soup:
- Beans – The recipe calls for black beans, but you can substitute pinto and kidney beans as well.
- Tomatoes – I love using canned fire roasted tomatoes for recipes like this. (I’m a spicy girl)! However, if you don’t like spicy then plain diced tomatoes will work great too. (Do not drain the tomatoes…add the whole can into the pot).
- Sweet Potato – Feel free to replace the potato with butternut squash.
- Toppings – I feel like the toppings make dishes like this even better. So, I add additional lime juice and top with cilantro, avocado and dairy-free sour cream. You can even top the soup with dairy-free cheese as well.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Complete steps 1-3 of the recipe. Add the meat mixture to the slow cooker, along with the beans, tomatoes, and lime juice. Top with the broth and give it a good stir. Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
For more dairy free recipes, please give these a try:
- Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Creamy Roasted-Poblano Potato Soup
- Sausage & Artichoke Stuffed Shells
- Chicken & Vegetable Coconut Curry
- Creamy Coconut Cilantro-Lime Chicken
Spicy-Sweet Potato Bean Soup with Chicken
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large Shallot (or a small onion)
- 2 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Himalayan Pink Salt, to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 3 cups Swanson Chicken Broth, low sodium
- 1 can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can Hunts Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (add the contents of the entire can)
- 1 Lime, freshly squeezed juice
- 1 Avocado, pitted and cubed
- Fresh Cilantro, to taste
- Optional: Kite Hill Sour Cream, just a dollop
- Over medium-high heat, add the avocado oil and heat until shiny.
- Cook the potatoes and onion for about 3 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Add the chicken, garlic and other spices. Cook until the chicken loses its pink color; about 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, tomatoes and lime juice and heat through.
- Serve with cilantro, avocado and additional lime juice and sour cream, if desired.
- Slow Cooker Instructions: If using, complete steps 1-3 of the recipe. Add the meat mixture to the slow cooker, along with the beans, tomatoes, and lime juice. Top with the broth and give it a good stir. Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Storage: Store the soup in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- My White Textured Stoneware is from World Market.
* Be sure to click the Yum button, which will allow you to save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box.