This Parsnip Purée with Garlic and Herbs is a healthier and lightened up version of your favorite mashed potatoes.
The parsnips are quickly boiled, and then puréed with milk, fresh herbs, some seasoning and a bit of cheese. The parsnips also have a light, natural sweetness to them. And your guests will be hard pressed to know that this side dish is anything but your typical mashed potatoes.
Check out my full 2018 Thanksgiving Menu here.
Parsnip Purée with Garlic and Herbs
- 1 lb. Parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup Milk
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- Fresh Rosemary, just a small sprinkle
- Fresh Lemon Thyme, just a small sprinkle
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, freshly grated
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the parsnips. Cook until tender about 8-10 minutes. Drain.
- To a food processor, add the parsnips, milk, garlic, rosemary and thyme and purée until smooth.
- Add the cheese and pulse again until just incorporated. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately or cover and reheat later.