The Best Classic Homemade Hummus! This homemade hummus recipe is super easy to make and comes together in just a few minutes. And, I guarantee, you’ll never want to buy from the store again.
Please do not be intimidated at the thought of making your own hummus. It is SO simple that you’ll wonder why you have never made it until now. All you need is a handful of ingredients and a food processor. Also, based upon the time you have, you can either remove the skins or not.
First things first though. What exactly is hummus? Hummus is a Middle Eastern dip or spread and is made up of garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and sea salt.
Of course, everyone loves to put their own personal spin on this recipe, so feel free to add whatever spices you want.
So, here is my take on this classic dish. I have listed some good pointers below, which will help give you the creamiest and most velvety texture.
Here Are My Quick And Easy Tips For Executing The Best Classic Homemade Hummus:
- Tahini (sesame paste) – Make sure to find a good quality tahini brand that only uses one ingredient – sesame seeds. Tahini will make the texture of the hummus smooth and it adds flavor. Hint: make sure to shake or stir it very well. (If you can’t find tahini, you can use olive oil in its place).
- Fresh Lemon Juice – There is no substitution here. Since there are only a handful of ingredients for this recipe, we need to use the best and freshest.
- Garlic – For this recipe, please use fresh garlic for the best flavor. The garlic in the jar just won’t give the same great taste. Heads up: if your garlic bulb is dry and comes apart easily that means it’s not fresh, and you need to buy another one.
- Cold Water – This ingredient is crucial in making a creamy and fluffy hummus. It is a must! So either use really cold water, or add some ice cubes to your water. (I use approximately four tablespoons here, but you may need more).
- Preparation – If making for a group, maybe remove the skins first. However, if it’s just a snack or appetizer for your home, feel free to leave the skins on. (Removing the skins just yields to an even more smooth texture).
- Blend Time – The longer you blend the smoother the consistency will be.
- Olive Oil – Right before serving, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top of the finished hummus.
- Leftovers – Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or you can freeze it as well. Just make sure you leave enough room in the container, because the contents will expand. Frozen hummus will last up to 3 months.
Things That Go Well With Hummus:
- Homemade Naan or pita bread
- FYI – Did you know, you can even use hummus in place of mayonnaise or mustard as well as in deviled eggs?!? 😉
And for more easy recipes, please give these a try:
- Loaded Tomatillo Salsa Guacamole
- Asparagus-Prosciutto Crostini with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Chocolate Cherry Quinoa Bars
- Dark Cherry Breakfast Smoothie
The Best Classic Homemade Hummus
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans (i.e. Chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup Mighty Sesame Co. Organic Tahini (Creamy, Squeezable & Ready)
- 1-2 Lemons, freshly squeezed juice (I used 1 1/2)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 4 tbsp Cold Water, or more
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (good quality), for drizzling
- Add-ons: Warm pita bread, naan, crackers, veggies
- To a food processor, add the garbanzo beans and purée until they become powder-like; scraping the sides down if necessary.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt and blend. While blending, through the top, pour one tablespoon of water in at a time. Continue blending for about 3-5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust by adding more lemon juice or salt.
- Remove the hummus to a bowl and lightly drizzle with some olive oil and spices of choice (paprika, cumin, fresh herbs, etc. etc.).
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Enjoy with naan, pita bread, crackers and/or your favorite veggies.
- My White Textured Stoneware can be found at World Market.
* Be sure to click the Yum button, which will allow you to save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box.