Creamy Coconut Cilantro-Lime Chicken! This is an easy and super flavorful dish that is ready in under an hour. It’s family-friendly and is perfect for any night of the week. The best part is the creamy, dairy-free sauce that is made with coconut milk, and lots of fresh cilantro and lime juice. It is divine!
To keep with the dairy-free theme, you need two important ingredients: coconut milk and vegan butter. I have provided the specific brands I use below. They are fantastic products, and I guarantee you will love the flavors of this dish.
Ingredients Needed That You May Not Already Have In Your Fridge:
- Chicken Broth
- Fresh Cilantro
- Vegan Butter
- Coconut Milk
Important Things You Need To Know:
- Coconut Milk – This alternative is one of the stars of the show! It is creamy, slightly sweet, and a bit nutty. Also, it naturally thickens the sauce so you will not need to add any additional thickening agents.
- Canned – There are many different varieties of coconut milk. My favorite is canned. Just a heads up though, shake it well before opening to fully combine the liquid and the cream that have separated.
- Unsweetened – Please be sure to find unsweetened coconut milk because it is already naturally sweet, with no need of added sugars.
- Full Fat – And for best results, use full-fat coconut milk. Lite coconut milk has less fat, giving it a more watery consistency. So use full-fat here, because it will lend to a more rich and creamy dish.
- Miyoko’s Creamery ®European Style Cultured Vegan Butter, Unsalted – This butter is 100% crafted from plants. Plus it melts, spread, browns, bakes and tastes like butter. For me, this a great alternative because it is lactose free, gluten-free and contains no dairy. Oh yay!
And lastly, to make this a full meal, serve this Creamy Coconut Cilantro-Lime Chicken with a side of rice, and asparagus.
Creamy Coconut Cilantro-Lime Chicken
- 4 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Himalayan Pink Salt, to taste
- 1/3 Medium Red Onion, finely diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- 1 14.5 oz can Swanson Chicken Broth, less sodium
- 1/3 cup Fresh Cilantro, (stems removed), slightly chopped and loosely packed
- 1 Large Lime, freshly squeezed juice and zest
- 2 tbsp Miyoko's Creamery® European Style Cultured Vegan Butter, Unsalted (linked below)
- 3 tbsp Thai Kitchen Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk (linked below)
- Preheat the oven to 400° degrees F.
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side; flipping once. (You want the chicken nice and browned on the outside. It doesn't have to be cooked all the way through yet). Remove the chicken to a plate and cover tightly with foil; set aside.
- Add the onion and sauté for about a minute just to break it down. Add the garlic and stir constantly, for about 30 seconds, or until it becomes fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan with the chicken broth, scraping up the browned bits from the pan and then stir in the cilantro, lime juice, lime zest and salt and pepper to taste.
- Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat down a bit and allow it to boil gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. (Just eyeball it. Make sure you don't let it reduce too much though).
- Add the chicken back to the pan and spoon some of the sauce over each piece. Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake uncovered until the chicken is completely cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.
- During this time, you can steam one of your favorite veggies to serve on the side.
For more chicken recipes, please check these out: