Chicken & Vegetable Coconut Curry! This easy red curry is full of fresh vegetables and chicken in a creamy coconut sauce. Just top it with mango and crunchy chickpeas for a hearty weeknight meal.
This curry is made in one pan and is ready in under 30 minutes. It is fast, flavorful, healthy and has a little something for everyone. Honestly, this dish is one of my favorite meals….some of the veggies are more summery, but I’m able to find them year round. If you can’t, that is fine, just substitute it for something else.
Red curry is made from crushed red chilies, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, shallots and fish paste with a coconut base. I reinforce those flavors by adding more of those ingredients throughout the whole dish.
Below, I share the type of coconut products that you will need, and the most important ingredients to pay close attention to.
And, of course, feel free to play around with different variations. Things like carrots, spinach, and baby potatoes are great in this recipe as well.
What You Need To Know About Coconut Milk:
- Coconut milk is the basis of most Thai curries. In this coconut curry, I use full-fat coconut milk. Lite coconut milk has less fat, giving it a more watery consistency. So use full-fat here, because it will lend to a richer and creamier flavor. Also, please note, do not try coconut cream (too thick) or cream of coconut (way too sweet)…
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Basil, Cilantro or both
- Curry Paste – The brand I mention below is great. I like my curry spicy, so I tend to add more. To begin with, just start with three tablespoons, and work your way up from there.
- Fish Sauce – You don’t need much, but you can’t do without it.
- Chicken – A garlic rotisserie chicken works great in this recipe, which is what I use a lot. However, you can also use one to two large chicken breasts instead and just cook them in the sauce.
- Basil, Cilantro or both
- Fresh Mango
- Crunchy Chickpeas
- Warm Naan
What’s the best way to serve this Chicken & Vegetable Coconut Curry? I absolutely love it over cooked rice or cauliflower rice, and topped with mango, chickpeas, more fresh herbs and warm naan. It will blow your mind!
For more chicken recipes, please give these a try:
- Fresh Herb-Garlic Roasted Chicken
- Creamy Coconut Cilantro-Lime Chicken
- Shredded Chicken Crunchy Tacos
- Easy Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Loaded Taco Salad Bowls
- Mediterranean Chicken Hummus Bowls
- Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta
Chicken & Vegetable Coconut Curry
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced into ¼ inch strips
- 1 Small Zucchini, diced into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 Small Yellow Squash, diced into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 Fresh Broccoli Head, cut into florets (equivalent to 2 cups)
- 1 Family Size Rotisserie Chicken, 1 breast shredded (equivalent to 2 cups)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Gourmet Garden Ginger, Stir-In Paste
- 1 tbsp Gourmet Garden Lemongrass, Stir-In Paste
- 3 - 5 tbsp Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste, or to taste
- 1 14 oz can Savoy Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce, less sodium
- 1 - 1 ½ tsp Thai Kitchen Premium Fish Sauce
- 1 Lime, freshly squeezed juice and zest
- Fresh Basil or Cilantro, chopped
- Jasmine Rice or Cauliflower Rice, cooked
- Toppings: Mango slices, crunchy chickpeas and naan
- To a large skillet, on medium-high heat, add the avocado oil.
- Add the bell pepper, zucchini, squash and broccoli, and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until lightly charred on the edges. Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste and cook for an additional minute or two until fragrant.
- Slowly pour in the coconut milk and 3/4 cup of water. Add the fish sauce and soy sauce and stir to combine. Lastly, stir in the shredded chicken. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the curry has slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat, and then stir in the basil, or cilantro, lime juice and zest.
- In four small bowls, add some rice, and ladle the curry on top. Top each bowl with mango and chickpeas. Serve with warm naan.
- Chicken: Use either one breast from a family size rotisserie chicken, or use 1-2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts. If you use raw chicken, just add it into the sauce and let it simmer until fully cooked. Remove from the pan, shred it and then add it back.
- These Cravings 3 Stoneware Pinch Bowls by Chrissy Teigen can be found at Target, or this similar set of Cravings 3 Stoneware Pinch Bowls can be found on Amazon.
- And my White Textured Stoneware is available at World Market.
* Be sure to click the Yum button, which will allow you to save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box.