Easy Grilled Chili-Lime Fish Tacos! These tacos are filled with flaky fish, a cilantro-lime slaw and finished with fresh avocado, mango and crisp jicama. Fresh and flavorful – it’s the perfect bite.
These tacos are super easy to make and, even though it’s a “grilling” recipe, I do provide a broiler option as well. The breakdown is below.
- I use tilapia for this recipe but you can also use catfish, bass, red snapper, rainbow trout, or branzino. To find out more about each fish please click here.
- Don’t forget to let it marinade! I use olive oil, fresh lime juice, honey, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Just combine it all in a bag, add the fish, massage it a bit, and let it rest in the fridge for a good 30 minutes or so. Letting those flavors soak in is key!
- For this taco recipe, I love to slightly char some white corn tortillas. However, you can use flour, low-carb or these grain-free tortillas.
- Servings – Generally, one corn tortilla per taco. But, there are times, to make it that much more filling, when we use two tortillas per taco.
Slaw & Toppings:
- Cabbage – Red cabbage is a great addition to these tacos! It is mild and earthy in flavor and the leaves are tender when raw. (If you can’t find red cabbage, you can substitute green cabbage or napa cabbage).
- Helpful tip: If you’re not interested in buying a whole cabbage, certain grocery stores are willing to cut it for you. That way, there is no waste and you buy only what you need. 🙂
- Toppings – Mango, avocado and jicama – the trio of all trios! It’s a little sweet, creamy and crisp all in one bite!
- Jicama – Remove the tough, brown peel and cut the white flesh into matchsticks or cubes. It can be eaten raw or cooked, but I prefer raw for this recipe to give the dish some texture and “bite.” And, for those that are unfamiliar with the taste, the flesh is crunchy and juicy, with a slightly sweet and nutty flavor.
And, what if you can’t grill? No problem! Just pan fry or broil the fish. Preheat your oven on high broil, place the top rack 5-6 inches from the heat source, and cook the fish for 8-10 minutes.
How To Assemble These Easy Grilled Chili-Lime Fish Tacos:
- Cut each tilapia fillet into two equal pieces. Top each tortilla with a piece of fish, and add some slaw and toppings. Finish them off with some additional cilantro. Enjoy right away!
For more taco recipes to enjoy, please check these out:
- Shredded Chicken Crunchy Tacos
- The Best Chimichurri Flank Steak Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Honey Chicken Tacos
Easy Grilled Chili-Lime Fish Tacos
- 1 lb. Tilapia Fillets
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lime, freshly squeezed juice
- 1 tbsp Beeyond The Hive Wildflower Honey (linked below)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Red Cayenne Pepper
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Himalayan Pink Salt, to taste
- 1/2 Red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 Lime, freshly squeezed juice
- 1 ripe Mango, diced
- 1 Avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 Jicama, skin removed and diced
- Fresh Cilantro, for topping
- 8 White Corn Tortillas, slightly charred
- Heavy Duty Foil
- Preheat the grill on medium-high heat.
- Place the fish in a large ziploc bag and add the oil, lime juice, honey, garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Season generously with pepper and salt. Close the bag and massage the seasonings into the fish until nicely coated. Let marinade for 30 minutes.
- For the slaw: In a medium bowl, add the cabbage, cilantro and lime juice and stir to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the fish: Remove the fish from the marinade, place on a piece of heavy duty foil, and add it to the grill. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side.
- While the fish cooks, prepare all the other ingredients, but do not cut the avocado until last minute.
- Grill the tortillas or lightly char them over a medium-low flame of a gas stove. Do not leave them unattended though. They need to be watched.
- Assemble the tacos: Divide the fish equally among the tortillas. Top each with some slaw, mango, jicama and avocado. Serve with additional cilantro, if desired.
- These Cravings 3 Stoneware Pinch Bowls by Chrissy Teigen can be found at Target, or this similar set of Cravings 3 Stoneware Pinch Bowls can be found on Amazon.
- This Better Homes & Gardens Rectangle Tray is available at Walmart and is an in-store purchase only.
- My White Textured Stoneware can be found at World Market.