This Cranberry-Orange Compote is the perfect lil’ goodie to whip up during the holiday season! It’s fabulous on a number of things as well.
The day we put up our Christmas tree, we had music playing in the background, and this Holiday Simmering Pot bubbling away on the stovetop. The smells alone will transport you to a magical place!
As I let it simmer all afternoon, I asked myself if I could actually do anything with the leftovers. That evening, I started to play with the ingredients and, even though I didn’t like the end result, another idea was born…fruit compote!
I then took the compote and slathered it in between delicious layers of puff pastry dough and baked it. (That recipe is to follow).
But this Cranberry-Orange Compote is fabulous on a number of things:
- Ice Cream
- Toast/Buttery Biscuits
- French Toast
- Cheese/Crackers or Crostini
- 2 cups Ocean Spray Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Florida Crystals Organic Raw Cane Sugar (linked below)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Navel Orange, freshly squeezed juice (equals about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 Navel Orange, zested
- To a large saucepan, stir in the water and sugar until fully dissolved; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and boil for 10-15 minutes, or until the sugar syrup turns a pale amber color and starts to slightly thicken.
- Gently add the cranberries. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries start to pop.
- Stir in the orange juice, zest, and cinnamon stick. Cook another 10 minutes or until the sauce has nicely thickened.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and transfer the mixture to a food processor.
- Purée on high until the compote is completely smooth. Or leave a little chunky, if you’re wanting a textured compote.
- Cool and set aside until ready to use.
- Makes 1 cup
- Prep Time: This includes cook time
- This large Marble & Wood Cheese board is from Williams Sonoma.