***This post is made in collaboration with Empress 1908 Gin. All content, ideas and words are my own.***
A French 75 Cocktail with Empress 1908 Gin, champagne, lemon juice and honey simple syrup. It is a refreshing, citrusy and slightly sweet cocktail that is perfect for the holidays or to ring in the New Year. If you are looking for a pretty, bubbly cocktail then this can be your new go to.
- Named after the French 75mm field gun that the French and Americans used in World War 1.
- This cocktail is generally made with a sugar simple syrup. However, I switch it up a bit and use honey. I believe the honey plays well off the herbal notes of the gin and the bright lemon juice.
How To Make the Best French 75 Cocktail with Empress:
- Gin – I use Empress 1908 Gin and I love it, because of its delicious taste and beautiful color.
- Simple Syrup – Whether you use honey or sugar, you will need to make a simple syrup. (Note: do not add straight honey to your cold drink, because it will seize up on you). Just make it ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Lemon Juice – You will need lemon juice. It not only cuts some of the sweetness, but you need it to enhance the gin.
- Lemon Curls – It is very easy to make these lemon curls. Simply slice a ring from the lemon. Make a slice through one side of the peel and the pulp, all the way up to the rind on the other side. Cut the pulp off of the peel so there is one long, thin strip of peel. Twist the peel into a curly-q shape. It will naturally hold its shape.
To read more on the history of Empress Gin and how it came to be, please check out my Empress Pear-Rosemary Gin Cocktail post. It is linked below.
For more drink ideas, please give these a try:
- Empress Pear-Rosemary Gin Cocktail
- Apple Cider Mimosa
- Hot Mulled Apple Cider
- Christmas Cranberry Mimosas
French 75 Cocktail with Empress Gin
- HONEY SIMPLE SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup Water, filtered
- 1/2 cup Honey
- FRENCH 75 COCKTAIL WITH EMPRESS:
- 1 1/2 oz Empress 1908 Gin (linked below)
- 1 oz Honey Simple Syrup
- 1 oz Lemon, freshly squeezed juice equivalent to one large lemon
- 2 oz Champagne, chilled
- Lemon curls, for garnish
- Honey Simple Syrup: In a small pot, warm the water to almost boiling. Remove from heat and stir in the honey until fully dissolved. Let cool completely.
- French 75 Cocktail with Empress: To a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine the gin, simple syrup and lemon juice. Shake vigorously and strain into a champagne flute.
- Top with champagne, stir gently, and garnish with a lemon curl.
- These Stemless Champagne Flutes Set of 4 are from World Market.
* Be sure to click the Yum button, which will allow you to save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box.