These Chai-Sweet Potato Breakfast Muffins are made with oat flour, and filled with apples, golden raisins, nuts and sweet potato. They are light and fluffy and are perfect for a healthy breakfast or an easy snack.
Looking for a fun, new way to incorporate leftover sweet potatoes in your diet? Want a recipe that the whole family will love including the kids? Then check out this cooked sweet potato muffin recipe.
Here’s the thing about these muffins…they are healthier, a bit less sweet, and loaded with lots of goodies. And, this recipe calls for avocado oil instead of butter. So, it’s something that everyone can get behind.
Ingredient Notes For These Chai-Sweet Potato Muffins:
- Flour – I only use gluten-free oat flour, but you can probably try it with almond flour and get the same result.
- Brown Sugar – Here I use light brown sugar, but dark works as well.
- Spice Blend – This Chai is a beautiful spice blend and contains cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. It is 100% organic and freshly ground.
- Avocado Oil – I use avocado oil for this recipe, but pretty much any oil will work (i.e. olive, avocado, coconut, etc.).
- Raisins – I love golden raisins in this recipe. They are plump, soft and fruitier in flavor than brown raisins.
- Sweet Potato – This recipe only calls for a small amount of sweet potato. However, if you have multiple potatoes in your pantry then this is a great way to use them up. Just double or triple the recipe.
- Preparation – I microwave the potato for convenience, but you can also roast it as well. That will take longer though.
- Once added to the batter, make sure to use a hand mixer to gently break it up. The mixer works like a charm here!
Chai-Sweet Potato Breakfast Muffins are light, healthy and delicious! The next time you have extra potatoes, give these a go.
And for more delicious recipes, please check these out:
- Roasted Strawberry Chia Pudding
- The Best Classic Homemade Hummus
- Honey-Thyme Roasted Strawberry Crostini
- Herb Salted Smashed Potatoes
- Flame Roasted Pork Green Chile
Chai-Sweet Potato Breakfast Muffins
- 2 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill® Gluten-Free Whole Grain Oat Flour (linked below)
- 3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp Spice Tree Organics Chai Confection (linked below)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 3 Organic Eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup Avocado Oil
- 2/3 cup Applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, cooked and mashed (equivalent to 1 cup)
- 2 Honeycrisp Apples (1 large + 1 small), cored and diced
- 1/3 cup Walnuts, roughly chopped (measure after they've been chopped)
- 3 tbsp Golden Raisins
- 12 Jumbo Muffin Liners
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Rinse and scrub the sweet potato and then pat it dry. Use a fork to pierce several holes into the potato, place it on a microwave safe dish, and cook for 5-6 minutes. Set it aside and allow to cool.
- Add the oil, applesauce, vanilla and eggs to the same bowl, mix and set aside.
- Carefully remove the skin from the sweet potato and mash it.
- Add it to the bowl and mix until just incorporated (Do not over mix or you will not have a nice, light batter).
- Fold in the apples, walnuts and raisins.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin liners, and then divide the batter evenly. Bake muffins for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for about 5 minutes and then transfer muffins to a cooling rack.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
- Hand Mixer: This is a great tool to use versus a spatula. The mixer will really blend up and evenly disperse the sweet potato.
- Storage: Store the muffins in a container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- My pinch bowls are from Target, but this similar set of Cravings 3 Stoneware Pinch Bowls can be found on Amazon. These Terracotta Pinch Bowls are from Amazon as well and are a best seller.
- This large Marble & Wood Cheese Board is from Williams Sonoma.
- My White Textured Stoneware is available at World Market.
- And the Artisanal Kitchen Supply Marble Trivet in White is from Bed Bath and Beyond.
* Be sure to click the Yum button, which will allow you to save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box.