Decadent Chocolate-Cherry Chia Pudding! This chocolate pudding is a delicious and indulgent dessert that is surprisingly healthy too. It’s a light, low calorie treat that is perfect for a date night in, or a healthy snack option.
This no bake dessert is the perfect little goodie to whip up when those chocolate cravings strike. It is easy, quick, and hits the spot every single time. And the best part of this whole dessert…the sweet, tart, dark cherries that are slightly softened and put on top. It is heaven!
My husband’s comment was, “Chia seeds, coconut milk, maple syrup…can’t believe I’m saying this, but I love these! One of my favorite desserts now!” And he doesn’t even like coconut milk. If I can win him over, I can win you too.
- Dairy-Free & Vegan
- Indulgent yet light
- Includes the two best things – chocolate and cherries – what’s better than that?
- Perfect for a date night, Valentine’s Day treat or fun snack
Ingredient Notes For This Decadent Chocolate-Cherry Chia Pudding:
- Coconut Milk – It is creamy, slightly sweet, and a bit nutty. Also, it naturally thickens the pudding, as do the chia seeds, so you won’t need to add any additional thickening agents.
- Canned – There are many different varieties of coconut milk. My favorite is canned. Just a heads up though, shake it well before opening to fully combine the liquid and the cream that have separated.
- Unsweetened – Please be sure to find unsweetened coconut milk because it is already naturally sweet, with no need of added sugars.
- Full Fat – And for best results, use full-fat coconut milk. Lite coconut milk has less fat, giving it a more watery consistency. So use full-fat here, because it will lend to a richer and creamier pudding.
- Powder – I love the Navitas brand and it is linked below. It contains organic cacao powder and nothing else. It is a clean product and is super-nutritious for you as well. (If you don’t have cacao powder, just replace it with cocoa powder at a 1:1 ratio).
- Cherries – You can use either fresh or frozen. However, I love using frozen for this recipe. Why? Well, once you defrost them a bit, they get slightly soft and you’re able to mix the cherries and their juices with everything else. It creates the most wonderful dessert. (The recipe calls for one cup cherries. So, if you divide the pudding up into four servings, just add 1/4 cup of cherries to each).
- Toppings – Top with other things like nuts, coconut flakes and cacao nibs. If you can’t find cacao nibs, you can also use chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
For more healthy dessert or snack options, please give these a try:
Decadent Chocolate-Cherry Chia Pudding
- 2 14 oz cans Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Badia Organic Chia Seeds (linked below)
- 1/4 cup Navitas Organic Cacao Powder or Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup Organic Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Wyman's Frozen Cherries (dark, sweet & red tart), slightly defrosted
- Toppings: Sliced almonds, cacao nibs, coconut flakes
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut milk, cacao powder, maple syrup and vanilla. Start the hand mixer on low and, once the mixture has come together a bit, bump it up to high and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the chia seeds and mix until combined.
- To prevent lumps, stir a couple more times over the next 15 minutes.
- Divide the chia pudding among 4-6 serving containers, cover, and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Serve with sweet cherries, cacao nibs, coconut flakes, sliced almonds, chocolate chunks or chocolate chips.
- Tools: Using a large bowl and hand mixer works great for this recipe.
- Coconut Milk: If you want to mask more of the coconut flavor, just add a bit more cacao/cocoa powder.
- Powder: If you don't have cacao powder, replace it with cocoa powder at a 1:1 ratio.
- Cherries: Fresh or frozen works. Be sure to cut them in half, because they are easier to eat that way.
- My pinch bowls are by Chrissy Teigen which I found at Target, but this similar set of Cravings 3 Stoneware Pinch Bowls can be found on Amazon. These Terracotta Pinch Bowls are from Amazon as well and are a best seller.
- And the Cacao Powder, Cacao Nibs and the Martini Glasses set of 4, 8 oz or 10 oz are also from Amazon.
* Be sure to click the Yum button, which will allow you to save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box.