***This post is made in collaboration with Empress 1908 Gin. All content, ideas and words are my own.***
Spring and summer are coming your way in the form of this Strawberry Lavender Gin & Tonic! This cocktail comes together with a very special gin, and a simple syrup that is deliciously floral and slightly fruity. The strawberry lavender syrup is an absolute dream too. The sweet, fragrant flavor of the lavender pairs perfectly with the fresh strawberries. And the strawberries balance out the kick of the quinine in the tonic water and the juniper of the gin…making for a delicious and well-rounded gin and tonic.
Gin & Tonic:
First things first…what is a gin and tonic? A classic gin and tonic is a highball cocktail that is made with gin and tonic water, then poured over a large amount of ice. The ratio of gin to tonic varies according to preference and the other ingredients that you add, but most recipes call for a 1:1 or a 1:3 ratio.
Empress 1908 Gin:
Now let’s discuss the gin. Why is this gin purple? Empress 1908 Gin is handcrafted in small batch copper-pot stills, the distinct flavor profile is a result of eight natural botanicals: butterfly pea blossom, Fairmont Empress Blend Tea, juniper, grapefruit peel, coriander seed, cinnamon bark and rose petal. The rich purple hue actually comes from the butterfly pea blossom. And here is a fun fact for you. The deep indigo hue changes to bright lavender, soft pink or fuchsia when you add citrus or tonic (depending on how much you add). How cool is that?!? It is stunning! And, it is absolutely magical to watch as you mix!
Empress 1908 Gin is the gin to use with this strawberry lavender simple syrup. It is a match made in heaven! And, honestly, this gin makes some of the best cocktails I have ever sipped on. 😉 So, if you love gin and tonics, please do yourself a favor and give this recipe a try. I promise, you will love it too.
Below I share some helpful tips and tricks to make this the best drink possible.
Ingredient Notes For This Strawberry Lavender Gin & Tonic:
- Simple Syrup – All you need to do is make a honey simple syrup, by simmering equal parts water and honey (in order to dissolve the honey). However, it is important that you do not boil the water, because that is not good for the honey.
- Lavender – Use this sparingly. Using too much will make it taste like perfume. The amount shown below is a good amount. It enhances the strawberry but doesn’t overtake it.
- Tip – The longer you let the syrup steep the more potent the flavor will be. After one hour of steep time the strawberry flavor is there but it’s still faint. However, after two hours the simple syrup is nicely concentrated with strawberry flavor. Just keep this in mind and plan ahead.
- Lemon Juice – To balance out the flavors, you will need a fair amount of lemon juice. It may seem like a lot but, believe me, it works perfectly for this drink. Also, be sure to use fresh and not bottled.
- Tonic Water – Not all tonic water is created equal. Some have natural sugar and natural quinine while others do not. Just make sure to do your research before you buy.
And, for more Empress 1908 Gin recipes, please give these a try:
- Empress Pear-Rosemary Gin Cocktail
- French 75 Cocktail with Empress Gin
- Honey Lavender Gin Lemonade (with Empress)
- Mixed-Berry Ice Cream Shake
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a star rating below so I know how you liked it. Thanks! Enjoy!Print