Baked Quail Egg Bites! These eggs are nestled in layers of phyllo dough, and are topped with bacon, scallions and cheese. This is a perfect breakfast or brunch idea that will impress the whole gang.
And before we dive into the recipe, here are some things to consider and keep in mind for the future.
The Flavor Profile of a Quail Egg:
- Quail eggs taste just like chicken eggs. However, they have a more delicate texture and are richer in flavor, because their yolk to white ratio is larger.
The Number of Quail Eggs It Takes To Equal One Chicken Egg:
- 4 quail eggs
Quail Eggs Are Better Than Chicken Eggs:
- According to the USDA, quail eggs are higher in B12, iron and folate than chicken eggs, and slightly higher in protein and phosphorus. Also, they are higher in fat due to the larger ratio of yolk to white, but most of the fat is monounsaturated (good fat).
- FYI: I get my quail eggs from Safeway. If you can’t find them at your local grocery store maybe try an Asian market near you.
The 411 on Preparation and The Right Ingredients For The Job:
- Try quail eggs poached, fried, hard-boiled, scrambled or baked. And they pair well with bacon, prosciutto, asparagus, black truffle, crème fraîche, smoked salt, herbs, buttered toast, caviar, smoked salmon, mushrooms, and herbs such as thyme and tarragon.
How To Make The Best Baked Quail Egg Bites:
- Quail Eggs – Using a serrated knife is the only way to successfully get the egg out of the shell. The shells are very delicate so be careful.
- Phyllo Shells – Sometimes the bottom of the shells are bubbled up. If so, gently press down on the shell to slightly break that bubble. This will help prevent the filling from overflowing.
- Bacon – One piece of bacon will work to fill the bottom of the shells. Feel free to top the baked eggs with an additional piece as well. My husband loves to do this!
- Scallions/Chives – Either one will work here, but I do prefer the flavor of the chives with the delicate taste of the quail eggs.
- Cheese – Use either the vegan option below or a dairy option is good too. Either way, you just need a small amount.
- These egg bites are perfect for breakfast, brunch, Easter, etc.
And, for more egg recipes, please give these a try:
- Loaded Breakfast Taco Bar
- Huevos Rancheros with Green Chile
- Avocado Toast (with Hard Boiled Eggs)
- Impossible Breakfast Quiche
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a star rating below so I know how you liked it. Thanks! Enjoy!Print
- My pinch bowls are from Target, but this similar set of Cravings 3 Stoneware Pinch Bowls can be found on Amazon. These Terracotta Pinch Bowls are from Amazon as well and are a best seller.
- The Artisanal Kitchen Supply Marble Trivet in White and the Mikasa Stemless Wine Glasses are from Bed Bath and Beyond.