***This post is made in collaboration with Beeyond The Hive. All content, ideas and words are my own.***
Are you looking for an easy, slow cooker recipe for spring? One that doesn’t take a lot of planning, effort, or skill, but delivers big on flavor and appeal?!?
These Sweet and Spicy Pulled Chicken Lettuce Wraps are nothing short of fantastic! We made these for the Super Bowl and have since made them a number of times. I just repurposed the meat from my Chipotle Honey Chicken Tacos and created something new, bright and fresh.
I didn’t want these lettuce wraps to be too spicy though, so I only used two chipotle peppers. And with the addition of Beeyond The Hive honey it gives it that nice spicy-sweet balance. Specific notes are below.
*Fun Party Tip: you can fill and use the smaller, inner lettuce cups as appetizer portions. Your friends will go crazy for them!
For more chicken recipes, please give these a try:
- Shredded Chicken Crunchy Tacos
- Creamy Coconut Cilantro-Lime Chicken
- Mediterranean Chicken Hummus Bowls
- Loaded Taco Salad Bowls
Sweet & Spicy Pulled Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 3-4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts w/ Rib Meat, (equivalent to 2 lbs.)
- 1 Head of Butter Lettuce, pulled apart, washed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup Beeyond The Hive Raw Wildflower Honey (linked below)
- 1 7 oz can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (2 diced)
- 2 tsps Adobo Sauce
- 1 tsp McCormick Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp McCormick Chili Powder
- 1 tsp McCormick Paprika
- 1/2 tsp McCormick Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp McCormick Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Mahatma Jasmine White Rice, cooked
- Additional Toppings: Cilantro, diced mango, scallions, avocado slices, and lime wedges
- In a small dish, add all the spices and mix until thoroughly combined.
- To a slow cooker, arrange the whole chicken breasts and completely coat both sides of the chicken with the spice mixture. Top with the diced chipotle peppers, sauce and honey.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 - 3 1/2 hours, or cook on low for 6 - 6 1/2 hours.
- Pull out the chicken and shred with two forks. Then add the meat back to the slow cooker and stir into the juices. (There will be quite a bit of liquid, but once the chicken is shredded and added back in it will be nicely absorbed).
- Prepare the rice according to package directions, about 20 minutes before serving.
- When ready to assemble: top each lettuce cup with rice, shredded meat and the toppings. Serve each plate with lime wedges.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce: If you're looking for flavor without the spice, only add in the peppers and omit the sauce. (This is a great option for kiddos or for those that can't tolerate spiciness).
- Slow Cooker Times: Whether you cook the meat on low or high, make sure to check the doneness at the 3 hour or 5-6 hour mark. If it is overcooked, it will taste dry and will have lost its bold flavor.
- Butter Lettuce: Gently pull each leaf from the core, and run under mild flowing water. Place them on a towel and pat dry with a second towel. (This lettuce is extremely delicate. Handle carefully because it can rip very easily).
- The Marble & Wood Cheese Board featured here is from Williams Sonoma.
- Here is a similar option for porcelain measuring cups: Portmeirion Sophie Conran White Measuring Cups from Amazon.