***This post is made in collaboration with Beeyond The Hive. All content, ideas and words are my own.***
These healthy Sweet-&-Spicy Pulled Chicken Lettuce Wraps come together so easily in the slow cooker. Filled with deliciously spiced chicken and loaded with tons of fresh toppings – your friends will go crazy for them! Serve as a main meal, or use the smaller lettuce cups as appetizers.
Are you looking for an easy, slow cooker recipe for spring? One that doesn’t take a lot of planning, effort, or skill, but delivers big on flavor and appeal?!?
These Sweet-&-Spicy Pulled Chicken Lettuce Wraps are nothing short of fantastic! We made these for the Super Bowl and have since made them a number of times. I just repurposed the meat from my Chipotle Honey Chicken Tacos and created something new, bright and fresh.
I didn’t want these lettuce wraps to be too spicy though, so I only used two chipotle peppers. And with the addition of Beeyond The Hive honey it gives it that nice spicy-sweet balance. Specific notes are below.
*Fun Party Tip: you can fill and use the smaller, inner lettuce cups as appetizer portions. Your friends will go crazy for them!
Important Notes For These Sweet-&-Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce – If you’re looking for flavor without the spice, only add in the peppers and omit the sauce. (This is a great option for kiddos or for those that can’t tolerate spiciness).
- Slow Cooker Times – Whether you cook the meat on low or high, make sure to check the doneness at the 3 hour or 5-6 hour mark. If it is overcooked, it will taste dry and will have lost its bold flavor.
- Butter Lettuce – Gently pull each leaf from the core, and run under mild flowing water. Place them on a towel and pat dry with a second towel. (This lettuce is extremely delicate. Handle carefully because it can rip very easily).
And, for more chicken recipes, please give these a try:
- Shredded Chicken Crunchy Tacos
- Creamy Coconut Cilantro-Lime Chicken
- Mediterranean Chicken Hummus Bowls
- Loaded Taco Salad Bowls
Sweet-&-Spicy Pulled Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 3-4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts w/ Rib Meat, (equivalent to 2 lbs.)
- 1 Head of Butter Lettuce, pulled apart, washed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup Beeyond The Hive Raw Wildflower Honey (linked below)
- 1 7 oz can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (2 diced)
- 2 tsps Adobo Sauce
- 1 tsp McCormick Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp McCormick Chili Powder
- 1 tsp McCormick Paprika
- 1/2 tsp McCormick Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp McCormick Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Mahatma Jasmine White Rice, cooked
- Additional Toppings: Cilantro, diced mango, scallions, avocado slices, and lime wedges
- In a small dish, add all the spices and mix until thoroughly combined.
- To a slow cooker, arrange the whole chicken breasts and completely coat both sides of the chicken with the spice mixture. Top with the diced chipotle peppers, sauce and honey.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 – 3 1/2 hours, or cook on low for 6 – 6 1/2 hours.
- Pull out the chicken and shred with two forks. Then add the meat back to the slow cooker and stir into the juices. (There will be quite a bit of liquid, but once the chicken is shredded and added back in it will be nicely absorbed).
- Prepare the rice according to package directions, about 20 minutes before serving.
- When ready to assemble: top each lettuce cup with rice, shredded meat and the toppings. Serve each plate with lime wedges.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce: If you’re looking for flavor without the spice, only add in the peppers and omit the sauce. (This is a great option for kiddos or for those that can’t tolerate spiciness).
- Slow Cooker Times: Whether you cook the meat on low or high, make sure to check the doneness at the 3 hour or 5-6 hour mark. If it is overcooked, it will taste dry and will have lost its bold flavor.
- Butter Lettuce: Gently pull each leaf from the core, and run under mild flowing water. Place them on a towel and pat dry with a second towel. (This lettuce is extremely delicate. Handle carefully because it can rip very easily).
- The Marble & Wood Cheese Board featured here is from Williams Sonoma.
- Here is a similar option for porcelain measuring cups: Portmeirion Sophie Conran White Measuring Cups which are from Amazon.
* Be sure to click the Yum button, which will allow you to save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box.