This Layered Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Casserole is everything you love about enchiladas! Instead of being rolled, it’s stacked into thick delicious layers, and made with a super flavorful Hatch Valley Green Chile Sauce.
I have always loved Mexican food! Heck, my mom ate it all the time when she was pregnant with us. So as a young child, I could vividly remember being obsessed with Taco Bell. My mom even called us her, “Burrito babies!”
A lot has changed since then. But two things remain the same: I still enjoy an occasional Taco Bell run, and my love for Mexican food hasn’t changed. It’s just a bit more elevated now, lol! 😉
My sister-in-law, Mariel, gave me this casserole idea, and over time I’ve tweaked it to our liking. Each layer has a nice chicken to cheese ratio and is loaded with black beans. It also has great garlic flavor, and includes the BEST store bought 505 Southwestern® Hatch Valley Green Chile Sauce.
This Layered Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Casserole is a quick weeknight meal that everyone is bound to love. It can be made mild or spicy, is gluten-free and is great as leftovers.
For another 505 Southwestern® recipe, please give these a try:
Layered Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
- 18 White Corn Tortillas
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts, boiled and finely shredded
- 2 cans Bush’s Black Beans, reduced sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium Red Onion, half or a bit more, diced
- 1 lb. bag + 8 oz bag Mexican Style Four Cheese, pre-grated
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1, 40 oz jar 505 Southwestern® Hatch Valley Green Chile Sauce, medium (linked below)
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, avocado slices, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa
- On medium-high heat, bring water to boil in a deep pot. Add the chicken and boil for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken loses its pink color. Remove from the pot and let cool slightly.
- During this time, prep the onion, beans and garlic.
- With a food processor, pulse the chicken on high until it is finely shredded.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the chicken, beans, onion, 1 lb. bag of cheese, garlic, pepper and garlic salt and stir until well combined.
- In a 13x9 dish, lightly smear some green chile sauce all over the bottom (this will prevent the tortillas from sticking).
- Layers: add 6 corn tortillas - 3 in a row - making sure that they’re touching. Top with a big portion of the chicken mixture and spread out evenly, sprinkle with some cheese, and top with a good layer of green chile sauce. Repeat this whole process two more times. (However, with the last layer, add the sauce and then top with the cheese last).
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sides are bubbling. Let sit for a couple minutes before cutting.
- Top with shredded lettuce, avocado slices, diced tomatoes, sour scream and (optional: red salsa).
- Possible sides: Mexican rice, refrained beans
- 505 Southwestern Hatch Valley Green Chile Sauce: If you can't find on large jar use 3, 16 oz jars instead.
- Corn Tortillas: If you don't like corn tortillas, you can use small flour tortillas as a substitute.
- Cheese: The 8 oz bag is to be used for sprinkling in between the individual layers.
* Be sure to click the Yum button, which will allow you to save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box.