This Layered Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Casserole is everything you love about enchiladas! Instead of being rolled, it’s stacked into thick delicious layers, and made with a super flavorful Hatch Valley Green Chile Sauce.
I have always loved Mexican food! Heck, my mom ate it all the time when she was pregnant with us. So as a young child, I could vividly remember being obsessed with Taco Bell. My mom even called us her, “Burrito babies!”
A lot has changed since then. But two things remain the same: I still enjoy an occasional Taco Bell run, and my love for Mexican food hasn’t changed. It’s just a bit more elevated now, lol! 😉
My sister-in-law, Mariel, gave me this casserole idea, and over time I’ve tweaked it to our liking. Each layer has a nice chicken to cheese ratio and is loaded with black beans. It also has great garlic flavor, and includes the BEST store bought 505 Southwestern Hatch Valley Green Chile Sauce.
This Layered Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Casserole is a quick weeknight meal that everyone is bound to love. It can be made mild or spicy, is gluten-free and is great as leftovers.
For another 505 Southwestern recipe, please give these a try:
Layered Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
- 18 White Corn Tortillas
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts, boiled and finely shredded
- 2 cans Bush’s Black Beans, reduced sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium Red Onion, half or a bit more, diced
- 1 lb. bag + 8 oz bag Mexican Style Four Cheese, pre-grated
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1, 40 oz jar 505 Southwestern Hatch Valley Green Chile Sauce, medium
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, avocado slices, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa
- On medium-high heat, bring water to boil in a deep pot. Add the chicken and boil for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken loses its pink color. Remove from the pot and let cool slightly.
- During this time, prep the onion, beans and garlic.
- With a food processor, pulse the chicken on high until it is finely shredded.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the chicken, beans, onion, 1 lb. bag of cheese, garlic, pepper and garlic salt and stir until well combined.
- In a 13x9 dish, lightly smear some chile sauce all over the bottom (this will prevent the tortillas from sticking).
- Layers: add 6 corn tortillas - 3 in a row - making sure that they’re touching. Top with a big portion of the chicken mixture and spread out evenly, sprinkle with some cheese, and top with a good layer of green chile sauce. Repeat this whole process two more times. (However, with the last layer, add the sauce and then top with the cheese last).
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sides are bubbling. Let sit for a couple minutes before cutting.
- Top with shredded lettuce, avocado slices, diced tomatoes, sour scream and (optional: red salsa).
- Possible sides: Mexican rice, refrained beans
- 505 Southwestern Hatch Valley Green Chile Sauce: If you can't find on large jar use 3, 16 oz jars instead.
- Corn Tortillas: If you don't like corn tortillas, you can use small flour tortillas as a substitute.
- Cheese: The 8 oz bag is to be used for sprinkling in between the individual layers.