Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken! All you need are 5 easy ingredients to make this super flavorful and versatile shredded salsa chicken.
Instructions For This Easy Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken:
- 505 Southwestern® – You want to use a really good salsa, because this is what is going to flavor the chicken. And you can use homemade or store bought. A great store bought version is this Hatch Valley Green Chile Chunky Salsa. It is certified Non-GMO, Gluten Free & Vegan. This is the star of the show! It’s made up of simple and delicious ingredients: authentic Hatch Valley Green Chiles, fresh tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, garlic powder, salt and lime juice concentrate. That’s it. And it has tons of great flavor to.
- Chicken – This chicken takes just a handful of ingredients that you likely have in your pantry. And it only takes a couple of minutes to throw together too. Once cooked, you shred it and add to whatever dish you want. Easy peasy, right?!? (Just a heads up: the chicken will release a lot of its own juices while cooking. But, don’t worry, once it’s mixed up it will be absorbed perfectly).
- Spices – In addition to salt and pepper, add these 3 ingredients: ground cumin, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. With the addition of the smoked paprika, you’ll get a nice smoky flavor. The flavor is sweet and cool without adding any heat to the dish. (Please make sure to add smoked paprika. Regular paprika will yield a different flavor profile).
- Cook Time – Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, checking around the 3 1/2 hour mark. Just test with a fork, and if it easily shreds then it is ready. And if not, give it some more cook time.
What Goes Well With This Chicken:
- This recipe is great for salads, tacos, burritos, and enchiladas. You pretty much can’t go wrong anyway you do it. It is so versatile!
For recipes to pair with this chicken, please give these a try:
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 2 lbs. total)
- 1 16 oz jar 505 Southwestern® Hatch Valley Green Chile Chunky Salsa, medium (linked below)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Himalayan Pink Salt, to taste
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, and then coat the chicken with a good amount each of the cumin, garlic powder and smoked paprika. (I like to be generous with these 3 spices, especially with the smoked paprika).
- Next, cover all the chicken with the salsa. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, (or low for 6-8 hours), or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker and toss with the remaining juices until well combined.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days. (This chicken also freezes well).
- The White Textured Stoneware can be found at World Market.
- My clear glass bowls are from Crate and Barrel. This Duralex Glass Bowls, Set of 10 is a similar option.
* Be sure to click the Yum button, which will allow you to save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box.