It’s not fall until you start apple picking and baking, am I right?! So, what better way to kick off the season than to make my Apple Turnovers with Homemade Caramel. These turnovers are light, flaky and filled with apple cinnamon goodness! They’re sweet without being too sweet, and are topped with my decadent homemade caramel sauce.
If you’re looking for an easy fall dessert with minimal work, then this is it. This recipe does not require a homemade crust, but rather a premade puff pastry. See, that’s not hard at all!
Things You Need To Know About The Apple Filling:
- I use Honeycrisp Apples here. You can also use Braeburn, Crispin, or Pink Lady. For the thickener, I use arrowroot which is all natural. I think it works better than cornstarch, but if cornstarch is all you have then that will work as well. When it comes to the spices, you can either use the apple pie spice, like I talk about below, or substitute it for 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg. Both options are amazing! And lastly, I like to add some fresh lemon juice to help cut the sweetness.
Toppings For These Apple Turnovers with Homemade Caramel:
- You can either use my cinnamon sugar topping, 5-Ingredient Vegan Caramel Sauce or both! I’ve done them all. And to be honest, I like using a little bit of both. (Just combine the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle on the turnovers right before you add them to the oven. And, for the caramel, just be sure to add it to the turnovers once they are cooked).
These Apple Turnovers with Homemade Caramel are best eaten warm, right out of the oven, and they can be enjoyed as a snack, for breakfast or a dessert with ice cream.
And, for more delicious apple recipes, please give these a try:
- Hearty Autumn-Harvest Salad with Apples
- Apple Pie Espresso Frappuccino
- Apple Cider Mimosa (Crisp & Refreshing)
- Autumn-Apple Pie Chia Pudding
- Honeycrisp-Apple Tart with Caramel Sauce
- Apple Cranberry Orange Crisp
- Apple-Plum Pork Chops with Herbs
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a star rating below so I know how you liked it. Thanks! Enjoy!Print
- My pinch bowls are by Chrissy Teigen which I found at Target, but this similar set of Cravings 3 Stoneware Pinch Bowls can be found on Amazon. These Terracotta Pinch Bowls are from Amazon as well and are a best seller.
- My White Textured Stoneware is available at World Market.
- This large Marble & Wood Cheese Board is from Williams Sonoma.