It’s not fall until you start apple picking and baking, am I right?! So, what better way to kick off the season than to make my Apple Turnovers with Homemade Caramel. These turnovers are light, flaky and filled with apple cinnamon goodness! They’re sweet without being too sweet, and are topped with my decadent homemade caramel sauce.
If you’re looking for an easy fall dessert with minimal work, then this is it. This recipe does not require a homemade crust, but rather a premade puff pastry. See, that’s not hard at all!
Things You Need To Know About The Apple Filling:
- I use Honeycrisp Apples here. You can also use Braeburn, Crispin, or Pink Lady. For the thickener, I use arrowroot which is all natural. I think it works better than cornstarch, but if cornstarch is all you have then that will work as well. When it comes to the spices, you can either use the apple pie spice, like I talk about below, or substitute it for 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg. Both options are amazing! And lastly, I like to add some fresh lemon juice to help cut the sweetness.
- You can either use my cinnamon sugar topping, caramel sauce or both! I’ve done them all. And to be honest, I like using a little bit of both. (Just combine the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle on the turnovers right before you add them to the oven. And, for the caramel, just be sure to add it to the turnovers once they are cooked).
These Apple Turnovers with Homemade Caramel are best eaten warm, right out of the oven, and they can be enjoyed as a snack, for breakfast or a dessert with ice cream.
For more delicious apple recipes, please give these a try:
- Autumn-Apple Pie Chia Pudding
- Honeycrisp Apple Tart with Caramel Sauce
- Apple Cranberry Orange Crisp
- Apple-Plum Pork Chops with Herbs
Apple Turnovers with Homemade Caramel
- 1 box Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
- 1 Egg beaten with 1 tbsp Water, for egg wash
- APPLE FILLING:
- 3 Honeycrisp Apples or Granny Smith Apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 tsps Bob's Red Mill Arrowroot
- 1 tbsp Apple Pie Spice
- 2 tsps Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Lemon, freshly squeezed juice
- Cinnamon Sugar or Vegan Caramel Sauce, for topping
- CINNAMON SUGAR TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup Florida Crystals Organic Raw Cane Sugar (linked below)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Filling: To a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the apples, brown sugar, arrowroot, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and lemon juice and stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until it reaches a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, turn to low heat and allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat to cool while you prep the pastry.
- Gently unfold the puff pastry onto the counter. With a pizza cutter, cut each large sheet into 4 squares (totals 8 smaller squares). If necessary, add some flour to your work surface to prevent the pastry from sticking.
- Add a couple tablespoons of the apple mixture to the center of each pastry square, fold into a triangle shape, and crimp the edges with a fork to seal. (This will prevent the apple juices from leaking out).
- Transfer the turnovers to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
- To a small bowl, combine the egg and water and beat well. Lightly brush the top of each turnover with the beaten egg; discard the remainder. And with a sharp knife, cut 2-3 small slits to vent the steam.
- Optional: Lightly sprinkle each turnover with cinnamon sugar topping.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Rotate the pan halfway through the bake time to prevent uneven browning.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle the turnovers with some caramel sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets: Remove from the box and place on a plate or paper towel. Let thaw for 35-45 minutes before handling. Don't let the pastry get too warm though, or it will be hard to work with.
- Bob’s Red Mill Arrowroot: 16 oz or a 2 pack are available on Amazon.
- This large Marble & Wood Cheese Board is from Williams Sonoma.
- These Cravings 3 Stoneware Pinch Bowls by Chrissy Teigen can be found at Target, or this similar set of Cravings 3 Stoneware Pinch Bowls can be found on Amazon.
- My White Textured Stoneware is available at World Market.